Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Smiling

Sunday we went to the break away Republic of Transnistria to attend church. It is amazing how a place of so much political unrest appeared very safe.    We were able to enter the area without any difficulty,  due to the good relationship of the director of Teen Challenge with the officials.  We were meeting with a team who came from the US who came to work on the teen challenge center. After church we were invited back to the directors and his family's home for lunch.  He has eight children and a mother-in-law who lives with him and his wife.  We all packed into a cozy dining room and ate chicken, potatoes, and bread. One of the ways Moldovan's show love and hospitality is through the gift of food.
After our time in Transnistria, we headed back to Chisinau to have dinner with people who attended the Human Trafficking conference.  This was such an amazing dinner.  I  learned more about the initiatives that different Christians are taking all over the world to help confront this growing problem.  I sat next to a woman who is running a home in Seattle and another girl who is reaching out to women in Amsterdam. It was amazing !!!
On a personal note:  I am really enjoying Moldova and the work I am doing here.  Just about everyday God does a miracle in my life and I am so grateful to be a part of His work.  One of the cultural traits that has been hard for me to adjust to is the lack of smiling.  Rarely will you see people smiling at a stranger or even at loved ones.  This may sound like a relatively minor issue, but it is strange for me and can be harsh.  I really want to smile at people and show them love in that way but I do not want to offend.  So as I prayed about it, I have been reading Jeremiah.  In the first chapter, Jeremiah is being called to follow God's call.  Jeremiah is young and  fearful.  God reassures Jeremiah and tells him to not be afraid because He is with him.  I am not sure how friendly people were in Jeremiah's time but in verse 8 God says,

Do not be afraid of their faces, For I am with you to deliver you, says the Lord.


He knows our smallest doubts and fears and knows what we need.  I was so glad to get this verse and I am now smiling at people.

5 comments:

  1. You want to know what's even more amazing is God's confirmation. So I just responded to your email you sent me and at the end of it I said remember to smile. Not even sure why I said it, but God obviously knows what we need :) I've started doing this at work too b/c I have some sour pussed folks and it's not because that's how they were raised, they're just upset about life, but I smile and say Hi every time, eventually they crack!! :)

    And on a totally different note: Transnistria. Who in the world calls a place that? Is it Transit central or something? Give us some history! :-D <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, Erica is funny lol. I'm so glad to hear they are feeding you right, girl :) And as I told your sis on skype, it's a bummer that they don't smile often, cuz smiles are a thing from heaven, but oh well, S-Bells is there to show them right hollaaaa!!
    Anyway, keep writing, I'm really looking foward to it, and I transtaled your blog to my mommy, she said "hello Saraha, God bless you".
    :D here's a smile, mexican style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you ladies :)I will write more about Transnistria.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sarah, They will all be smiling the Sarah smile when you leave. Miss you!
    Linda Wotherspoon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You Linda. I miss you too :)

    ReplyDelete