Sunday, October 24, 2010

Working in a Warm Culture

     One of the books I am reading while here in Moldova is called From Foreign to Familiar. In this book, the author outlines some of the differences between "cold cultures" such as the USA and Germany, which value efficiency, production, etc.. and "warm cultures" like Moldova and Mexico.  According to the author warm cultures tend to focus more on relationship building than on productivity.  Although the average person on the street of Moldova is not initially smiling at you, once you talk to somebody, they are extremely kind and open.  For instance, on the days I have had Russian lessons, Olga (my teacher) and I have spent a large portion of the time finding out about the others family.  By our third lesson, it was like meeting up with an old friend.  Although I am there to learn Russian, it is secondary to our relationship.  It has been nice living in a warm culture where cultivating the relationship is extremely important.  On the other hand, working in a" warm culture" when you come from a "cold culture" can be extremely challenging and at points frustrating.  This past month God has been working with me on not having to always be doing something, or contributing, or being productive, or even trying to make things happen.  He is showing me that I can work with the flow of the people as opposed to overruling situations or living in irritation.    It has been very good !!!  I mean that.
     This past week we spent a lot of time getting to know more about the Home and the women we are working with.  We attended our first staff meeting. I am moved to be working with such a loving group of people. It made me think about what a blessing it is to work with others who truly want the best for those they are taking care of even if it is taxing on them.  It is God's work.  I feel like my relationships are growing, and soon I will start teaching lessons on health in the home.  This past month has given me the background information I have needed to understand more of the women's specific health needs and concerns.  Please pray for the work here as this past week had a lot of challenges that are far from over.  We need wisdom.
Oh  yeah, Jessie and I got a refridgerator yesterday!!!


Disclaimer:  This does not mean Americans do not value relationships :)

2 comments:

  1. Love Bug! This great news about the fridge and as to the learning of different cultures and acclimating your own habits to your new environment well that's the beauty of living abroad. Grant it, as you know, I've never lived overseas for longer than 2 weeks and that's hardly enough time to truely acclimate but who knows maybe one day I will and your posts will help prepare the way ;)

    God's work is always the best and I'm soo happy to hear what God has been doing in you. I think one day you and Jess should switch and write on the others page about what you've learned from eachother! Funness :)

    We love you Sarah Bell! Keep Striving toward Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post about the Moldovian culture. The smiling factor works kind of in anopposite way compared to US, doesn't it?.:) People do not smile at first, they just observe you and then once they get to know you better, then they will smile and become your friends. They will open up and tell you more than you want to know, hihi:) I love your posts and pictures. You are making me to miss Europe very much. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete