Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Fun

    So I realized that I have never spent a Thanksgiving without my family.  This was my first, and it was great.  Don't get me wrong I missed my family terribly and had intermittent moments of nostalgia and sadness, but Thanksgiving was a blast with my team.  For two days prior, we were all in some way preparing for the ridiculous delicious feast we were going to have on Thursday. We ended spending about eight hours together playing games, eating, and laughing on Thanksgiving.
  
 On Wednesday I went grocery shopping with the ladies from the the restoration home at a store similar to Costco called Metro.  We bought an absorbatant amount of food and it was entertaining to see people's reaction to the two overflowing carts.  One of the children joined us from the home and we had her sitting in the front of the cart.  Yeah I know, not that odd- right, wrong, people just stared at her in the cart.  Unlike the states, the grocery carts are not kid friendly.  People hold their kids or they walk through the store.  It was pretty funny to see the reactions.  On a more serious note, this little girl brings much joy to the home.  You can often hear her learning people's names, calling the dog, or repeating phrases.  She is deeply loved by her mom and their relationship is a blessing to see and be a part of. I love this kid.
     Today was rainy and extremely cold outside.  It is starting to feel like winter, woo hoo.  We had Russian lessons in the afternoon and ended up going to our tutors house for the lesson.  This was the first time we have been to her house.  She showed us all the rooms and her plate collection.  Then we had coffee and jam (homemade jam) and talked.  It was wonderful !!!

We are supposed to get snow tomorrow :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! Look at you and the Turkey leg. I tried to pawn it off on Ruth this year, but she just couldn't handle it ;). People are funny when they see something out of the norm. If you are smiling while you do it, they get even more weirded out. LOL. Is that table extra skinny, or is it just the perspective? I am soo happy that you had fun. It sounds more and more like you are settling in with your team...Woo hoo! Have you taught the people in the Restoration house any songs in English? Specifically this child?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have sung ring around the rosy with her. She likes that. Another time I sang with them is while we were playing a game. I lost and I had to sing. It was a lot of fun. Don't be deceived by the table. We had an unbelievable amount of food. So good!

    ReplyDelete