Friday, December 3, 2010

Cooking Moldovan Style

Today was a great day!!!

     Started the day at the Freedom Home cooking lunch with the cook and some of the women.  What a blessing!  I am learning how to cook Moldovan traditional food in order to be able to teach applicable lessons on nutrition in the Spring. The goal is teach the women healthy eating habits and also ways to cook the food they like so much in a healthy manner.   I am also grateful to have this time to spend with the ladies and get to know Maria the cook better.  Even though she speaks no English and I speak very little Russian, she was able to teach me how to make beef cutlets. Yeah, never made a cutlet before, but they are pretty tasty. She also taught me all the Russian words for the ingredients. So in addition to food lessons, I also had a Russian lesson. God is good! Maria is very kind and already has a good relationship with many of the woman even though she has only been there a short time.  She is truly an answer to prayer.
      Tonight we had some friends over to our apartment to eat dinner and watch a movie.  Elena, Elena, Elyssa, Jessie, and I had a lot of fun spending time together. It was nice to be able to have friends over to our house and bless them. Sweet fellowship!!!

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving, Sarah! It looks like you guys had a nice celebration:) I enjoy reading your updates - thanks for keeping us posted. Sasha is adorable.. will you be keeping her? How is she getting along? Those pictures are too cute- I want to scoop her up.
    That's awesome that you've been doing medical stuff with the women at the home and training with staff. And learning medical terminology and traditional food ingredients in Russian - amazing! :) How is the Russian coming along?

    Praying for you, friend.
    Psalm 121 "I lift up my eyes to the hills-from whence comes my help? my help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to be moved; He who keeps you you will not slumber... the Lord shall preserve your going out and your coming in from this time forth, and even forevermore."

    love,
    missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure if I will keep Sashka. I lover her though and am thinking about keeping her. She is a delight even when she is tearing up my legs with her claws :) She is super playful. The Russian is coming slowly. I am glad to be learning it.

    Love you Missy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...Is there a new cookbook series in the offing? Cooking Moldovan Style, a book by Sarah B...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is their "bad" eating habbit? I am assuming that they cook a lot at home, so the food is not "frozen/pre-cooked" with chemicals to keep it fresh... not many fast foods either, correct? Livia

    ReplyDelete