Thursday, December 9, 2010

Town Hall Meeting

     A couple of nights ago we went to the US ambassadors home for a town hall meeting.  I had taught earlier that day and wasn't really wanting to go to the meeting.  But I ended up there, and it was awesome.  The American ambassador spoke about his time in Moldova, and his hopes for the country. We were also given safety precautions from the security officer and a general idea of the country's crime. The meeting was held in a beautiful house and about 30 people attended from the US government and other ngos.  At the end, we were served delicious food and were able to mingle with the other people.  I ended up speaking with two women working with behavioral kids at a local orphanage who want me to come and teach on health issues. I would love to do this!
     One of the topics the safety and security officer talked about was the low rates of crime in Moldova.  Praise the Lord, I have experienced the kindness of the people here and for the most part believe the crime rates to be low against random strangers.  However I was a little leery of the statement, due to the seemingly high levels of corruption in Moldova, lack of infrastructure, and widely known inconsistency of the police department. I will not expound on all these points, but I tend to think that the under reporting of crime is happening particularly in issues of familial crime such as domestic violence.  I would have liked to have known where they get these statistics.
      Sorry,  I will get off my soap box :)  The town hall meeting was excellent, and I am so glad I went.

Isa. 40:11 He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.

3 comments:

  1. It's sort of like reporting health issues in foreign countries, no? Did you make any other good contacts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very similar, I think. Yeah, I met another guy who is learning about what business looks like in Moldova. I also met a woman who is researching the issue of trafficking in Moldova.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Europe they use Interpol. For comparison purposes I believe they use FBI's index of crime. Most of the countries report much lower crime than USA:) I guess, we have a very proper crime reporting here or are we more honest?:) I bet that during the communism the crime rate was much lower than what it is now. Very interesting post. I hope you get to teach more on health issues.... Livia

    ReplyDelete