Friday, January 7, 2011

Caroling on Christmas

     Yesterday we celebrated Orthodox Christmas.  In Moldova Christmas is celebrated in the 25th of December and the 7th of January.  It has been really nice to celebrate Christmas for an entire month and then some.  We started the day off attending a packed service at a local charismatic church.  The service consisted of preaching and beautiful choir and instrumental music.  The orchestra consisted of violins, cello, piano, accordions, and mandolins. We sat in the balcony and, for close to 3.5 hours, enjoyed the Christmas service in Russian and Romanian.  It was so good. 










     After service our team headed over to Seasons in Malldova and had a delicious meal. From their we headed to the North Bus Station where we had no clue how to get to, but thankfully our friend Curtis did. We were going to one of the towns to go Christmas caroling, which would start around 8:00 pm.  When we arrived, we met up with a youth group at one of the churches and then began to go to different house singing Christmas carols in Romanian.  I have not had much practice in Romanian so the words that I sang were all wrong, but by the end I had a pretty good handle on some of the songs.  We ended up getting multiple food gifts from the families we visited which we ended up eating later at the church around 11:30.  Everyone was very kind and welcoming. Jessie and I ended up staying overnight with a family from the church who were extremely sweet.  I had a wonderful time!

I am looking forward to being back at the home this coming week.  I can't wait to see the ladies

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to keep in touch and to give others of us insights into another part of the world where God is honored and worshipped, and his Son is celebrated! Sorry I did not get to give you a hug while you were here, but it was great to see and hear you. Many blessings to you as you continue your ministry. Mamie Burton

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so good to see you and know you are praying for His work here. Thank You Mrs. Burton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am confused. I was there too and I am not mentioned at all. In my blog, you and Jessie got the front-page picture! Don't worry, I am only pulling your leg! :) It was fun hanging out with you guys.

    ReplyDelete